Monday, September 28, 2009

Just Life

Our life, in general, as been pretty mixed up lately.  Changing of the seasons?  Maybe.  Going through phases?  Perhaps.  Just plain life?  Altogether the truth. Any way you look at it, it is just life.  Here are a few highlights:
Kjelden just turned 8, was baptized by his dad, became a scout member and is playing flag football.  Talk about requiring a LOT of attention.  He is also in the third grade, which means WAY more homework, more reading, more tests, more, more, more......But what a great boy he is.  We have our moments, but in the end, such as today....all I can say, is What a GREAT boy. One funny thing that he has said most recently:  Dad, you HAVE to get the prayer right for my baptism.  Get your manual out so you can remember it.  DAD, get your manual out!  DAD, are you going to get your manual?  Dad didn't get his manual: he knew the prayer by heart.  He even told Kjelden the whole prayer before his baptism.  Baptism time came.  I reminded Kjelden NOT to jump into the water as he saw someone do on AFV. The time drew even closer. I barely got in a picture before it was time to start.  Lo and behold, Kjelden didn't have to jump into the water.  He SLIPPED into the water and dunked himself (nearly).  When he finally got to where he needed to be, and Dad had ahold of him, DAD FORGOT THE PRAYER!!!!!  Boy did Dad get an earful in the dressing room!
What a neat experience! And what a fun day it was for him.  
Brayden has been a child I have yet to figure out.  I guess I can say that with all my kids, but one day he likes school, the next he doesn't.  At the moment, he LOVES school.  He loves that he can write letters and it makes words.  He loves that he has 11 + AR points in reading.  He loves his teacher and says he thinks she's cute. 
He is very much into bodily functions, unfortunately for a mom who could live without them. However, he has been funny lately.  I try not to encourage, but just ask Aunt Susan, who seems to get in on these conversations a lot.  He can come up with some FUNNY stories.  One about the BIGGEST and STICKIEST booger in the whole wide world :~) and the one about the biggest poop that just decided to stay in his body (everything came out in the end, no pun intended). Oh the joys of a 5 year old!
Simon, well....hmmmmmm.  He has been awfully quiet lately. He has taken a nap almost every school day, which is very odd for him.  He loves to go with Dad on the truck, even if it is just down the street.  He will argue the point up and down that he got to go to work with Daddy, even if Daddy is still there when the other boys get home from school.  Speaking of boys, Simon, when he gets mad at them, he will yell, "Boys!!!!"  hmmmmm  wonder where he got that from!  Simon is such a good boy.  He loves it when HIS Matthew can come over.  9 times out of 10, they just fight.  But there are times that they love to be together. 
I caught him the other day actually playing with his sister, Sheyna.  An amazing feat, I know. I'm not sure what they were playing, but he was being nice and they were laughing.  I guess you can consider that playing.

Sheyna, Sheyna, Sheyna.......what a cutie pie.  She is one that is also destined to have tubes in her ears.  But she does hear a few things and her favorite of all favorite words is HELP OMMM!
(That would be "HELP MOM!)  It is funny to hear her pick up on words and say them.  Charlie is another.  
She has become a Daddy's girl. Boy her face lights up when Daddy lets her sit with him.  She snuggles up to him like no other and won't move for a while.
One funny thing to tell about her is something that happened in the doctor's office.  In a lot of doctor's offices they have that hospital tile stuff (old style, I think) that is just like the 12 x 12 vinyl tile.  Anyway, that is what happens to be in this particular room we were in.  Brian was holding Sheyna when we got in the room and she decided that if Simon was playing, she needed to get down and play, too.  So, Brian put her down.  AND she was done.
She looked down at the tile and thought for sure those tiles were going to fall off the face of the earth or something.  It was the funniest thing watching her look at those tiles and just shake. Her whole body was shaking and she didn't dare take a step.  She looked like she finally convinced herself she could at least sit down, cause she very wobbily started to squat down.  I don't know what made her decide they were ok, but in a few minutes she was fine.  The tiles weren't going to move.  FUNNY TO WATCH.  I'm sure she didn't think it was all that funny, but I was rolling on the floor when the doctor came in.

All in all.......just life.  That's how it happens with four kids and a dog.  Life.  You live it and try to make the best of it.

2 comments:

  1. I bet the baptism would've been wonderful to see. I'm sad we didn't get to be there.
    I love how Sheyna says, "Help Ommm!" So cute.
    That cracked me up when you said that Brian got an earful in the dressing room. So funny! I love how things like that just happen in life, and I'm sure Brian knew it, no doubt. Funny funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is growing so fast! I'm sure kjelden will forgive and forget. I can't believe that Sheyna is talking! I love how "boy" brayden is and simon... simon... you know I love simon.

    ReplyDelete