Monday, March 23, 2009

That's Entertainment

Boys, in general, can usually find something entertaining to do.  That said, I was grateful, one day to have some cousins come over for Brayden to play with, as he was bored. "I can't find anything to do."  Thank goodness we had discussed cousins coming over and it was in the works for that day.  And thank goodness it was one of those great spring days when the weather was beautiful and we could play outside.  So, I went and sat outside with them while they played.  I found and still find it interesting that the most entertaining of all the toys in our yard is this:
The pickup DOES NOT RUN. But it is so entertaining.  Even for me, I find myself watching the play.  The "making it up as we go along" kind of play.  I love it.  Even the little neighbor girl will come over and sit in the pickup with Simon (Simon's got a girlfriend!!! as his brothers say).  Very intriguing to sit and listen to kids play in the pickup.

And if the weather is bad, (which if you give it a second or two in Wyoming, it will change) there is also things that will entertain you in the house.  Books?  X-box? T.V.?  Yes, all of them are entertaining for our boys, but for some reason, this particular day was especially "entertaining".  I was grateful for a few moments of quiet in the house.  Actually it was a long few moments.  Kjelden, Brayden and Simon were in their room playing for quite some time.  They were playing "Star Wars" or some such thing.  I could hear bits and pieces of their play.  It wasn't until a little later when they were done with whatever they were doing that I had a chance to go into their room.  I was a little worried because I had just cleaned their room for about the third time that week and I didn't want to walk into a huge mess.  I didn't.  I found this:

It's their weapon rack. Very innovative.  The picture, for some reason, just doesn't do it justice.  It was truly a work of art.  Maybe it was because I had to move it and then put it back for a picture.  I don't know, but the art of it was amazing.  They kept busy for quite some time on this and needless to say, I was proud of them for coming up with this instead of a very messy room.

So, I have come to the conclusion that we certainly don't need the X-box or t.v. to entertain our children.  Just give them a thousand empty hangars or a dead pickup and they will be entertained for hours on end.  Maybe a box would work, too.  Who knows.

1 comment:

  1. Wholesome entertainment! The hangers reminded me of an exhibit on display at the Museum of Art at BYU. An artist created things out of... garbage basically, and one of his creations was out of hangers. It was really cool. We didn't see all of his art. We were there to see the Walter Wick (I SPY) exhibit.

    ReplyDelete