You know those days when you just don't have a whole lot of patience for anything? Well, the past couple of days have been that way for me. Don't know why....probably hormones. I just haven't had the patience to do much of anything. I have been cranky and probably just downright mean. I'm sorry for both.
And then you learn that all you have to do is to look to a child for patience. Today we were out at the shop while Brian did some work there. He thought it would be nice for the boys to take their bikes out and Brayden, who has so stubbornly decided to not go any further in learning to ride two wheeled, could practice up a little. That let both me and Brian show our true patience, for sure. We know he can ride two wheeled. He has done it before. He just had to prove that he could and then he got a kick stand for his bike. So he proved that he did and that was that. No more riding. Put the training wheels back on and we are done. All to simple of a task. Except for the fact that after we were working on riding with two wheels, Brayden brought his training wheels in the house and for the life of us, we cannot find one of those wheels.
Anyway to make a long story short, Brayden refused to even touch his bike today. Brian lost all patience and went about his work. I was about to lose all patience and then decided a new trick. I just told him he had to show me 10 times a day that he could ride his bike and then he could get on his scooter. He loves counting, so that worked. Needless to say, he knows how to do it. Just still being a little stubborn because it is a change and for some reason he doesn't deal with change all that well.
I was able to learn a little bit of patience....counting to ten REAL slow will do that for you. But that is not the real way I learned patience today. This:
was just the perfect picture of patience. You wait for a long time for a picture such as this and then hope that you can get it before the moment passes. Although it isn't the greatest picture, it truly taught me that children can have a lot of patience if need be. Simon is really quite good with patience. I will be feeding Sheyna and get almost done and he will say: "Sheyna done yet?" and if she is not he will wait to sit on my lap or he will patiently wait for his dinner, "You done?" is what I can hear when I am done. In this picture Simon was waiting patiently for his dad to get the trailer hooked to the truck. He wanted to go for a ride in the truck with dad and he just stood there. I felt bad when I had to pick him up and tell him he couldn't go with dad, because he waited so patiently. Even now, my eyes well up with tears because I had to tell him he couldn't go. That's what the patience of a child will do to you, I guess. You don't realize it, but really that lesson was definitely needed in my life. "Like unto a child......."
No comments:
Post a Comment