Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Day is FINALLY over

My family has talked about being thankful this month as it is the month to think about being thankful.  I want to add to that.  I AM THANKFUL TODAY IS OVER!!!!!!!  I don't know how to stress that enough.  This morning around 4:45, I was sitting in my usual chair, feeding Sheyna, when the fire whistle went off.  I thought, Hmm, I'm already awake. I might as well go and find out where the fire is.  So, I get up and go turn the scanner on.  I think to myself that I heard some water running and wondered if maybe Brian or Kjelden got up in the middle of the night and forgot to check the toilet, as it likes to keep running every once in a while.  Anyway, I decided to investigate.  So, I went and put Sheyna in her bed. As I was doing that, Simon cries out. "MOM, Whar you?  MOM, Whar you?"  So, I go into his room and said, "I'm right here." He looks at  me and says "Fire, LOUD!"  He had heard the fire whistle and was concerned.  So I took him and put him in my bed with Brian as I was still investigating something else.  

I checked the toilet.  No running water.  I went into the kitchen again.  No running water.  Went to the top of the stairs.  RUNNING WATER.  I thought I had better check it out further although I really just wanted to go back to bed.  Anyway, I got to the bottom of the stairs and stepped into about 3 inches of water!!  I went into the bathroom, lots of water, but none running.  So I went into the laundry room.  There, in the laundry room was a gushing amount of water coming out of a pipe.  I ran back upstairs and scared Brian awake. I told him there was water everywhere downstairs and I was NOT KIDDING.  He got up and went down to look.  Much to our dismay, no, we were not dreaming or having a nightmare.  Brian got the water stopped flowing and we went to look in all the rooms.  In one room, we found an extension cord, still plugged into the outlet, completely submerged in water.  AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!  We were debating what we should do when, all of the sudden, the electricity went out.  Was it a blessing?  I'd say!!!  The electricity went out all over town because of the fire that was just a couple of blocks away.

Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter.  We got that cleaned up.  Then not even an hour later, I went to make some lunch, turned on the water and not a drop came out.  I asked Brian if he forgot to turn the water back on.  He said he knew he did.  Go check and see what is going on.  So, I thump back down the stairs and end up, again, in 4 or 5 inches of water.  So, we call the clean up crew, AGAIN.  That time, it did some real damage.  We might be getting a completely new face in our basement.  We shall see.  So, as it is we are getting the opportunity to sleep in a very HOT and MUGGY house in the middle of November.  Not our choice, nonetheless it has to be done.

Thank goodness for good friends who own a fire and restoration company here and who were willing to be awakened at 5:00 am.  Thank goodness we were home and not on vacation where we will be tomorrow.  Thank goodness we didn't loose too much.  The one thing I am sad about is ONE of my many scrapbooks was on the floor.  It was my first attempts at doing a family scrapbook.  I think the pictures are salvageable, but I shall have to go back and journal them.  Oh well, that is nothing.

Here are a few pictures of the day's events.  You can't really tell that there is water on the floor, but the first picture kind of shows the waves of water.  The second picture, if you look close enough, shows that Brian's foot is almost completely covered in water.  The last two pictures kind of speak for themselves. 

Water, water, everywhere, we're going to get wet!!

Pictures are o.k.  I think.  I can figure out what I put on the journaling parts.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! I'm glad you are okay and the electricity went out! That's scary. Wow, I would be grateful to end that day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your day ended. Hopefully everything works out well with insurance and clean up etc. Sorry about the album too, but so glad there was no injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO!!! I can't even imagine... I am so sorry that happened. It is a blessing everyone is alright. You could have been electrocuted... how scary! Let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete