Well, Pinewood Derby Day finally came......and now is gone. It was a long time in coming and....now it is gone. The thrill is over. The car will retire to the closet and not be seen probably ever again. Who knows? Maybe it will just show it's tires as one that ends up in the toy box.
It was a great time. The car took a while to get to it's destination point from a small piece of wood......even with the help of Grandpa George......
Three coats of primer....two coats of paint....and those two coats removed. Three more coats of paint....vinyl spots and lettering......more paint.....and finally three coats of clear coat. And then you add the axles and tires. All in all it took over two months for this car to get done.
Don't touch it....you might get the paint scratched. Don't touch it....you might drop it and scratch the paint. Put it away. It isn't a playtoy. Oh and just put it on the fridge mom so nobody can touch it.
It turned out to be a beautiful car. One to certainly be proud of. In fact, this is the award that Kjelden's car got:
Who got to share in the glory????? MOM, you can have the rest of my 100 Grand. Yes, thank you Kjelden. I shall remember this 100 Grand for a few days. It was priceless. It was a great evening.
Kjelden was reminded that it was the having fun that counted. He didn't care that his car won both his races, but was put out of the race due to the fact that they go by the time and not who won the different races. He was fine because his friend from school got second place and that was exciting to him. I think he was glad for the experience. I also think that Dad was grateful for the experience. He took the evening off to be with Kjelden as his first Pinewood Derby took place. It was a great day and one that will definitely be remembered by all.
Good Job, Kjelden





How fun! We have quite a few derby cars and only one got third place. Now I can say happily, that I am done with the derby for 5 years!!!!!! I'll just enjoy reading your derby experiences:)
ReplyDeleteGood Job Kjelden!! I am sure you are glad it is over! By the way... where did the Waltrip poster come from?? We will have to get one for our derby next year. Dallas gave us a bunch of tire banners and Brad put out his Nascar stuff and his big drag tire and we borrowed Strasheim's (don't know how to spell it) racing tire. It was cool.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Kjelden. Your car is awesome!
ReplyDeleteIt is a fun night for everyone. You guys took your time making the car. Ours gets pulled out of the box the weekend before!!
Kjelden looks really good in glasses! I haven't seen him in them before.
The car is screaming "cool design". :) Yes, it deserves that award. Good job Kjelden!
ReplyDeleteAnd sorry that it seems that we've fallen off the face of the earth. We really do love and miss you guys!